Constance , the hiutsuri, spawned two days ago. Her male suitors included a yamabuki (Buttercup), an asagi (Tarzan), and a showa (Farm Boy). Each year we have about 5-10 pond mutts that survive. So just for fun, I decided to see what happens and pulled up many of the hyacinth roots covered with eggs. Anything that was left in the pond was pretty much eaten up by the koi. I’ve placed the roots with eggs in a quarantine tank with oxygen and filtration. From what I have read online, the new koi can hatch from 2-7 days after spawning, much of it dependent on temperatures. One comment was that the ones that hatch sooner tend to be better koi.
I pulled a little strand with a few eggs and checked out to see if there was anything going on. Some of the eggs have developed eyes! We’ll see if we actually end up with any fry – I hope so!
Having some great weather and expecting some really warm temperatures over the weekend. It will be a scorcher working around the ponds. The clarity of our pond water has gotten very good. We can now see to the bottom of each pond. Partly the UV light, maybe the biosystem kicking in and the filter system being able to do it’s job.