Shiros in the Lower Pond

The lower pond is finally open and some of the koi are enjoying life outdoors again. We first put in Jet Li, a  Kikokuryu to test out the pond.  Since it’s always sad to have only one koi, we let Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid swim around for the evening with Jet Li. I made a little rock house they could hide in and hoped we wouldn’t find a little koi in the skimmer or RDF. Since they did well, we added the rest of the Omosako Shiro Utsuri tosai.  When the weather turned much warmer, we added in Ika and Sumiko 14-16″ Shiro Utsuris. Miyu will go out tomorrow and a friend is giving me another Shiro named Super. Nora is the only Shiro who will not be in this pond. One, she is more accustomed to a larger pond and two, she is part diva, part bully. She needs her space, so she’ll go into the upper pond when we get the right pump going.

Ika, Nora, Sundance Kid, Butch Cassidy, Wild Bill, Hesse Hames, Black Bart, Billy the Kid and Jet Li
Ika, Nora, Sundance Kid, Butch Cassidy, Wild Bill, Hesse Hames, Black Bart, Billy the Kid and Jet Li

Our landscape designer has provided a lot of thoughtful suggestions on plants to move and plants to purchase. The gardens are looking in better shape than they usually do at this time of the year. He has designed some structures for us to cover the equipment pits, provide shade for the lower pond and define different areas of the garden. Our contractor helps us with a reality check and staying on budget.

We’ve done a lot of planting this past weekend!

New weeping white spruce trees around the lower pond
New weeping white spruce trees around the lower pond
Moved the Strobe Macopin Pine up the hill - looks better next to the pond.
Moved the Strobe Macopin Pine up the hill – looks better next to the pond.
One of our new Swiss Stone Pine trees - slow grower, not too tall, soft needles.
One of our new Swiss Stone Pine trees – slow grower, not too tall, soft needles.

This equipment pit cover is on week two and almost done. There are more photos on the 2016 pond building page. To stay on budget and on time, we scaled back the size, the assortment of decks and kept to cedar. The designer had envisioned a metal roof but sourcing the tin tiles would eat up both time and dollars. Lots of landscaping will need to be done around the cover.

Our equipment pit cover is almost done.
Our equipment pit cover is almost done.

We really have gotten a lot of work done…so much that my garage is actually getting cleaner. Good thing because we are hosting the koi club meeting in a few days.

My garage has not been this organized for some time :-)
My garage has not been this organized for some time 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s