Making progress around the ponds…

All the koi are finally in the pond. We had one goshiki in quarantine but Carmen seemed very sad and lonely. So we decided to shorten quarantine for Carmen as well. The koi are all swimming around the pond and enjoying being in the school of big koi and the school of little koi. I’m retraining them to eat in one spot and to eat quickly. We had to put out the feeding ring again since the koi were letting a lot of food float away into the helix skimmer.

Carmen the goshiki is happy to be in the upper pond with the rest of the koi.
Carmen the goshiki is happy to be in the upper pond with the rest of the koi.

Very exciting is the completion of the upper pond’s filtration pit cover. The back doors have been installed and now the landscaping around the structure has started. Howie the landscape designer has recommend more Swiss Stone Pine. A different variety than the one we already planted but a relatively short tree (10-12 feet). We have also put some plants closer to the pond edge to discourage stepping on the rocks near the skimmer.

The upper pond's equipment pit cover finally has back doors.
The upper pond’s equipment pit cover finally has back doors.
Starting on some landscaping around the equipment pit cover. More Swiss Stone Pine - variety Silver Whispers.
Starting on some landscaping around the equipment pit cover. More Swiss Stone Pine – variety Silver Whispers.

The shade structure for the lower pond is starting to go up. The first posts are up and the pond digger will be digging two more holes for the back posts. The bracing is up while concrete has been poured. Howie has suggested a grass and shrub landscape. Sourcing a switch grass “Heavy Metal” was the hard part. I found a nursery about 30 minutes away that had four clumps. They also gave me a fifth clump that didn’t look good enough to sell for free 🙂

The first point of the shade element for the lower pond have been installed, squared and braced. The braces may come down over the weekend and there are a lot of plants to be put into the ground.
The first point of the shade element for the lower pond have been installed, squared and braced. The braces may come down over the weekend and there are a lot of plants to be put into the ground.

So tomorrow will be a long day digging holes and spreading mulch. The waterfall will also be restarted this weekend – can’t wait to see how our new design looks!